Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Caring for your jewelry
Posted by: Phat Mama, 8-Oct-2008As promised, here are some pointers for your jewelry made of semi-precious stones.
Facts on semi-precious stones:
1) There are a few things to look out for when choosing your stones. If you do not have a trained eye to scrutinize the characteristics of the stone, at least make sure that the colors are consistent throughout. The price of a gemstone generally depends on rarity, color and size among others.
2) Prices for semi-precious stones vary. Those that are lab-treated to enhance color and remove flaws are normally less expensive. Gemstones are divided into two categories - precious and semi-precious, which are further broken into groups, species and varieties.
3) The most famous gemstones are Aquamarines, Diamonds, Emeralds, Opals, Pearl, Ruby, Sapphires, Spinels and Topaz. However, other gemstones such as Moonstones, Lapis Lazuli and Amber have their own characteristics that give them their value.
4) Semi-precious stones are easily available and this makes finding ones in larger sizes and a variety of colors easier. It also gives the wearer more freedom to create their individual look.
Rule of Thumb when choosing jewelry:
1) Always bear in mind the wearer’s body frame size. Choose jewelry according to the proportion of your body. Small sized women are advised to stay away from jewelry that are too overpowering but if you are tall and a plus size then bigger jewelry will work on you.
2) If you plan to wear a lot of jewelry, stick to clothes of one color only. It would be even better if you can choose a color that will complement your jewelry.
3) If you love the look of diamonds but cannot afford the real one, opt for Cubic Zirconia instead as it has a close resemblance to diamonds.
4) Pearls come in many types, colors and designs these days. Choose the ones you like to add to your collection as pearls look classy and elegant anytime of the day.
5) Cocktail rings can be fun. Wear one or two for a function to add life to your outfit.
6) Always buy jewelry that we are like and can be comfortable with when we wear them.
Care for your jewelry:
1) Jewelry will last longer if it is given proper care like cleaning, storing and repairing.
Store each jewelry in individual containers.
2) Always put on your jewelry AFTER you have applied your make-up, perfume, hairspray or anything else that you use in your beauty regime daily.
3) Remove your jewelry before you start on your housework, especially when you are doing a lot of washing.
4) It is very easy to clean semi-precious stones. When you think it is time for their “bath” place your jewelry in a bowl of warm, soapy water for a few minutes to clean them.
5) Use a soft and non-metallic brush to remove grime, if any.
6) If using a jewelry cleanser, choose one that is non-abrasive. Avoid harsh chemical cleaners.
7) Do not scrub your semi-precious stones too hard.
8) If you are not sure how to treat your jewelry, take it back to your jeweler and ask for help.
9) Never mix your jewelry all in one place. This is the easiest way to get them scratched. Different gemstones has different quality of hardness so always be cautious of his,
10) You can use either tissues or cloth to wrap each individual piece before you put them away. Or, you can get pretty organza pouch bags that are easily available from gift shops to store your jewelry in.
Pretty boxes such as these can be easily bought from any gift shop.